What exactly is IT outsourcing? In short, it’s when organisations use an external IT services provider to deliver IT-related processes, projects or infrastructure.
Fully managed IT support companies handle all aspects of your technological needs, including maintenance, support, and consultancy. Most of them offer their services around the clock on top of providing strategic advice in accordance with your goals. You may opt to outsource certain areas of IT or use external providers for additional support.
This means that IT outsourcing can be used alongside internal teams. These types of relationships are typically known as co-managed IT support but are generally reserved for large enterprises. Small businesses that are yet to obtain the resources required for on-site IT infrastructure will likely opt for more comprehensive external assistance.
Before we explore the advantages of IT outsourcing, let’s take a look at what services are usually involved. Then we can move on to choosing the right partner.
Table of Contents
Commonly Outsourced IT Services
Here are some examples of what you can outsource to an IT support company:
- Cloud computing
- Office relocation support
- Managed firewall services
- Backup and disaster recovery
- Cybersecurity and antivirus services
Internal vs External IT Solutions
The alternative to outsourcing is to hire your own IT manager and technicians. With the right knowledge and expertise, they will likely be able to tackle problems and improve productivity. However, this approach is usually out of reach for smaller businesses, as hiring and facilitating an in-house team is extremely costly and time-consuming.
As you’re probably aware, information technology is complicated. It’s a specialist area that evolves constantly and rapidly. Training your staff is only the beginning.
You’ll also need to keep them informed on the latest trends, not to mention the infrastructure and all the expenses that come with acquiring, maintaining, upgrading, securing, and recovering your resources. With an internal team, you are responsible for ensuring that they perform, and they might not always have the right answers.
On the other hand, choosing to outsource your IT needs will give you peace of mind knowing that all issues are dealt with by experienced professionals. These specialists are regularly trained and are up-to-date on trends and developments in their industry. Read on to learn more about why you should consider IT outsourcing.
Benefits of IT Support in London
Following are some of the main benefits of working with an IT support company:
- Cost Control – Outsourcing provides a clear technology roadmap, with transparent budgets and projections so that there aren’t any surprises. You can usually choose a pricing structure that fits your business.
- Expertise – Having a trained and knowledgeable team is invaluable when solving issues, mitigating risks, streamlining operations, and finding ways to grow.
- Focus: With your IT function handled externally, you and your employees will have more time to spend on core functions and competencies that suit your abilities.
- Reduced Risk: Now more than ever, cybercrime is a major threat to small businesses. Partnering with an IT support company gives you the best insight and resources for protecting your data.
- Competitiveness: The expertise of an outsourced service provider also helps you get ahead of the competition by allowing you to leverage new technologies and solutions that other businesses don’t have.
- Productivity: Reliable support from IT experts reduces downtime and improves efficiency.
Choosing an Outsourcing Partner
While the aforementioned benefits are certainly compelling, you need to find the right provider to take full advantage of what outsourced IT support offers. The market is highly competitive and finding an ideal partner can be challenging. Getting references and recommendations is a good start, but not every business has the same preferences.
Take the time to perform thorough research on the IT support companies that are available in London. Sticking to local firms is better for several reasons. For instance, they can dispatch technicians to your premises faster. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit them in person and ask a few questions, including:
- What are the levels of IT support in London that you offer?
- Is anything not covered in the contract?
- Can you offer guaranteed response times?
- Do you provide remote management and monitoring?
- Does your company offer dedicated engineers and account managers?
- Which hardware and software companies do you work with?
- How and when will I be charged?
- What is the process for informing you about IT problems?
In addition to these types of questions, you can use some key factors when evaluating a company.
Start by establishing industry expertise. They should be familiar with your specific type of business. To determine how much experience they have, ask how many projects they’ve worked on with similar companies, and how intensive they were. It’s wise to stick with providers who know how your kind of business works and what it requires.
You can also assess their technical expertise. Leading IT support London companies are able to explain the methodology they use to manage tasks, track results, and solve problems. It’s a good idea to ask for references and samples of past work. Be sure to get in touch with the contacts they give you so that you can get an idea of that company’s experience.
Inspect their communication and client management systems as well. The last thing you want is to run into an issue and wait hours for a response. It’s important that regular and open feedback is maintained between both parties. Evaluate their staff and review their hiring policies to gauge their knowledge, discipline, and soft skills.
Don’t forget about costs. Fixed pricing structures are ideal as you know what you’ll pay. This should be presented in a transparent manner, but it’s a good idea to ask about any additional costs. During this time, you can also take a look at how the provider responded to the pandemic. Look for evidence that they provided empathetic and supportive service.
totality services is an award-winning company that delivers both on-site and remote support services for small businesses in London. If you’d like to learn more about IT support and what we offer, you can contact one of our experts for an obligation